Wednesday, August 10, 2005

True Romance?

I've had this conversation before with fellow romance writers. It begins with the question, "What's your all time favorite romantic movie?"

I recall the results: Casablanca, Roman Holiday, Brief Encounter (my personal fav of this sort), The Bridges of Madison County (yuck), Wuthering Heights, Rebecca...

All old movies, and, interestingly enough there's another common theme (except for Rebecca).

All of them end unhappily.

The couple does not stay together.

Yet these "romances" live in our hearts forever as some of the greatest love stories ever told. The passion in them breaks our hearts. Even as we wish for that last minute script change, we know that Ilsa and Rick will spend the rest of their lives loving each other, but not with each other, and we feel satisfied.

How fucked up is that?

I, for one, am so glad the romance book world is different. Because personally, I wouldn't want to invest so much of myself in another person only to be told I don't amount to a hill of beans in this world. I'm glad as hell I wasn't born a princess who had to choose between the love of my life and my country and I don't want to love a man I can't have until death allows us to wander the moors as ghosts for all eternity.

Where's the fun in that?

Give me Nick and Nora Charles anyday. Now there's a fine example of a sassy, sexy, eccentric romance. And guess what? They get to stay alive. Together. 4eva.

Who's your favorite movie couple?

2 Comments:

Blogger Boiserck said...

Fred and Wilma! Do they count as amovie couple? I guess technically they aren't. Great marriage example, even if they are a cartoon.

Great Blog!

October 29, 2005 12:10 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Ahahaha! Thanks!

October 29, 2005 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home