Sunday, October 16, 2005

Say Yes!

So at my neighborhood party Friday night everyone made a big deal out of me. I was carrying my bookcover purse and someone noticed it and all of a sudden there was this huge crowd around me and they spent the rest of the evening talking about it.

It was wonderful.

I guess the bookcover purse finally made everyone realize this was for real. One of their friends had achieved an almost impossible dream. It could happen. To me or to them.

I'm not above loving being the center of attention, but as I reflect on the evening, it wasn't about me. It was about a group of middle-aged people reviewing their lives and taking stock of their own dreams and whether they still had a chance to attain them. To them, I represented the answer "Yes."

You know what? I like representing the word "Yes." For a little word it carries a helluva lot of weight. It sounds nice when you say it too.

In the early days of the quest for publication I had an online friend who had been a smokejumper and written a book about it. One of the lessons he taught me was to follow up on every opportunity because you could never know where it might lead. So I try to say yes as often as possible. After all, where would I be if I'd said no to my fencing friend when she asked me to write a book with her? I doubt I'd be here. And here is the most wonderful place of all.

Say "Yes" today. Come on. You know you want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home