Friday, November 18, 2005

Living on The Edge

Today I did something wholly out of character and, in fact, quite dangerous. You might think me crazy. You might think me irresponsible. You might think I should never be left alone, online, with a credit card number. Think what you will. For today, November 18th, the anniversary of my first sale...

*drumroll*

I ordered my groceries online.

But wait. It gets worse...

I even ordered produce.

*dodges tomatoes*

Now I'm not normally one to take such a risk - to put the responsibility of crisp apples, yellow bananas and unblemished grapes into the hands of another. I'm aware that nothing less than the health and well-being of myself and my loved ones is at stake here.

So why did I do it?

Why??

Because yesterday was child number one's birthday and it was also market day and it's normally her chore. Because I foolishly said I'd do it this time so she wouldn't have to. And, because I'd rather sit here and pluck out my eyelashes one by one than spend even ten minutes in a grocery store.

So yes. Tomorrow I might very well be standing at the customer service desk with a bag of inferior fruit, fuming and spitting. But it was a gamble I was willing to take.

After all, last year at this time, five years of gambling paid off. Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky again.

If not, you'll hear a voice crying in the wilderness: Prepare ye to pay for this fraud.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jane/FabDame said...

OK - Inquiring minds want to know. What are the logistics of a child not old enough to drive doing the grocery shopping? And - how did the online grocery shopping turn out? (Pen poised, getting ready to take notes...)

November 19, 2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

The husband goes with her. She mainly goes to police him and make sure he gets the right stuff. But one of my friends drops her kid off at the store and comes back to get her. I thought that was a wonderful idea.

Now, on the the results of the grand experiment.

The deliver truck arrived at 10:30 and two very nice gentlemen asked me where I wantd the goods. I had them unload in the garage.

They explained that they'd mistakenly charged me $15.00 for the grapes and had corrected the error. They also refused my offer of a tip. Booya!

The only thing they got wrong was giving me 2 quarts of milk instead of two half gallons. I'd been charged for half gallons.

The produce was excellent but I did learn something about the ordering process when child number one pulled one banana out of the sack. They take your numbers literally. I needed to order 6 bananas to get a bunch. LOL.

Overall, a very good experience I'm eager to repeat. It cost ten bucks to have them shop and deliver. The bigger your order, the lower the fee! And you can still get the weekly specials. In my mind, that makes up for the cost.

Can't beat it!

November 20, 2005 9:27 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

PS - they keep a record of your shopping list so the next time you shop you can use that list as a starting point. It took me an hour to set up my shopping list in the database. So when I reorder, it should only take a few minutes.

November 20, 2005 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Jane/FabDame said...

Sounds tempting. I think it would pay for itself because there would be less chance of impulse buys, mmnnn, this looks good, need some of that, haven't had this for a while....

November 20, 2005 10:36 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Further proof great minds think alike *gg*. I had the same thought while making my list.

November 20, 2005 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home