Monday, November 14, 2005

Physician heel thyself

Went to my new job today for a refresher on how to answer phones and take people's money. Afterwards I had to go to the company doctor and submit to a pee test. Guess you never know when middle-aged housewives/romance authors might become junkies. These past two months, left to my own devices, have been touch and go after all.

Anyway, the doctor asked me what I did *before* I got hired as a part time cashier. I proudly told him that not only had I held the esteemed position of full time cashier, I was also a romance author.

This is where it gets hilarious.

First he asked me what my numbers were. I resisted asking him what his were, and gave him a ballpark idea. He asked me how long it took me to write a book. I told him. Then he noticed my book cover purse.

I explained how I'd made it and he smiled, nodded and shot me with his sensitive doctor finger. "That," he said, "is what you should be doing."

I dunno, at that point my jaw must've dropped and he took to the argument like a dog to a bone. He went on and on about all the grannies out there who'd love a purse with their grandkids pic on it. How I'd rake in the dinero. Blah, blah. All the time I'm thinking yeah right, asshole. I'm going to give up authordom to open my own sweatshop. Finally I said, "Why don't you do it? I know you docs need the extra income."

The door nearly hit my ass as I was packed up and shooed out.

But, you know? I'll keep his sage advice in mind.

*eye roll*

Doctors are so smart, after all.

PS - Oh man. To top off my day guess what just came free in the mail? A menopause test! Sh*t! What, do they have a mailing list for hormonal women? How the hell did I get on that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

Was he serious?

November 14, 2005 6:17 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Well I assume he was since he went on and on about it. Really. For several minutes and in a very adamant voice. Strange, isn't it?

November 14, 2005 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home