Friday, November 18, 2005

Short Men Have No Reason To... Be in Romance Novels?

I'm coming out.

Tonight!

Laying bare my soul, and shouting from on high.

I LOVE SHORT MEN!

Now, before you go and sneer, consider how many Hollywood leading men are tall?

Um. None.

Okay, Jim Carrey is. And not only is he a top box-office draw, he's the king of my heart. The secret one. The one I don't admit openly because if he called me on the phone and said he sorta kinda liked me, I'd divorce my husband and abandon my children.

And that would Just. Not. Do.

But I digress.

Let's hear it for the short men and the women who love them! Me included.

Have you ever really looked at one? The way they move, the way they've mastered the display of personality to make up for their shortness, the way they love tall women (like me). Or just the way they don't take up space?

OMG.

I'm breathless.

Martin Sheen in Badlands. Bruce Springsteen's ass on the cover of Born In The USA. Marlon Brando, Paul Neuman, Robert Redford, Al Pacino--the list is endless. Even Harrison Ford is short.

You think it's an accident we all pant over them?

It's in the way they move. The way they act. The way they appear to us. And the way they let us know that if we were the woman in front of them, we'd be mighty glad to be there.

It translates well to screen from good genes, but more so from the power of personality.

Because we're captive, we're captivated. We paid good money to get to know these men and goddammit, we're not going to waste another Friday night.

But what does that really say? Physical attributes aside, when we get to know someone, when we've invested (money, time or hope) we're more likely to look beyond what we think we're attracted to and discover what we are attracted to.

Call me a dreamer, but that's the best fantasy of all.

See what Charlie Horse and Karen Scott have to say.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lyn Cash said...

I prefer brains over stupidity no matter what size the package. All I know is that if I ever got stranded for long with someone, my brain would fry before my libido if the conversation was nil. Danny DeVito and Woody Allen have my vote over someone tall, lean, lanky, and luscious in a scenario like that. F*** my mind - I can take care of the rest. Besides, as one short man who wooed me once said (corny, but true line): We're all the same height lying down, but can you rise to my level of thinking?

November 19, 2005 6:31 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Short men often have over-sized personalities - that's for sure. I'm not sure why. But the class clown is always the shortest kid, and if you go to a party and lots of people are laughing and talking in a group, chances are it will be a short man who is the center of attention.
Maybe that's why so many become actors and singers?

November 20, 2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger deidre death said...

how short is short? if a man is my height (which is 5'3"), i want nothing to do with him. my husband is aonly 5'10"... is that short? anyone over 6" would be too awkward for me.

November 20, 2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Well, I wouldn't go under 5'8" for a romance novel. I would consider "short" to be 5'8" to 5'11". Anything under would venture into "pint-sized" and that would definitely be a romance no-no. Although I have dated Pint-sized men and I can vouch for the fact that there's nothing else small about them *vbg*.

November 20, 2005 7:01 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Sam, I think you're right. They've made up for their stature with the large personality. And I can't resist a ton of personality in a man!

November 20, 2005 7:03 PM  
Blogger Shannon Stacey said...

My husband's about 5"3", so I'm a little over two inches taller, but I never really notice other than 1---I had to wear flats with my wedding gown and 2---he's got the short guy walk. Very cocky. My short kid walks the same way. Add in the fact that the husband's a former Marine, and he walks like he's 6'5".

The only romance hero I can remember shortness being an issue with is Wes, one of Suz Brockmann's SIM SEALs. I thought he was yummy, but I also think less of an issue was made of it during his own book than when he'd been a supporting character in the previous books.

November 21, 2005 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home