Tuesday, December 20, 2005

3D Inspiration

I've been following Daisy Dexter Dobb's dieting soap opera. Have you? It's got to be hard for her, to give up one of the things she loves most. Most of us can understand on some level. We all struggle with our individual addictions. Of course, some are more socially acceptable than others. No one tells someone she has to stop living her dreams through her children because their as-yet-to-be-seen psychological problems are going to cost future tax payers alot. Alot.

Yet, overweight people and smokers are considered a tax burden and/or employment liability because of possible future health issues. Our addictions are visible. And that's the only real difference. But you see how I digress? See how my writer's stream of consciousness veers off? Because I didn't begin this blog post to start a social rant on how labeling people and creating scapegoats has become a national obsession meant to deflect accountability from it's real target--yourself.

What I meant to blog about was New Year's Resolutions.

So, keep me on course here, people!

Is that too much to ask?

Thank you!

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm about to turn forty-five. Half my life will be officially lived on January 11th, 2006 if my ancestors are anything to go by. Of course, they didn't smoke. Or drink for that matter (closet wine bottles and blackberry brandy as sauce for ice cream sundaes aside).

Past, successful New Year's Resolutions for me have included but are not limited to: 1) lowering expectations while raising hopes (six years and still going strong. Booya!) 2) No excuses, no defense (five years and lovin' it) 3) No salt (four years and no bloat).

So, I figured if I could stay the course on those all these years, if I could have the stick-to-itivness required to be a published author, and if 3D could lose the weight she has and make it funny and entertaining as hell for her readers, I could do two things for the entire month of January.

Quit smoking and quit drinking.

No cigs. No beer.

I can do cigs without beer, but I can't do beer without cigs. So they both have to go together. If I can do it a month, I can do it for two.

And that's what I'm going to do. No matter what. One month. That's all I'm asking of someone who has alot of stick-to-itivness.

Will ya'll listen to me whine? I'll listen to you! Post your resolutions here. Right now. And whine with me when that clock strikes twelve.

If Daisy can do it, so can we.

How are you going to improve in 2006?

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Horse said...

I'm going to give up the fast food once and for all! No more fried chicken, greasy burgers, succulent pizzas, steak and cheese subs...

aw forget it. My cravings rule me :)

December 20, 2005 11:28 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Jeez Charlie, why not just pile on the resolutions until the heap is so high it tumbles all over you in a tangle of fried onions and shredded lettuce. Pick one, fer cryin' out loud. Two tops. Okay, here's a challenge: no more red meat fast food. It's not really meat anyway so you're not really giving it up ;) Keep the KFC and the pizza (as if anyone could live without pizza!)

Does that work for ya?

December 21, 2005 7:08 AM  
Blogger Nienke Hinton said...

Yeah, yeah, remind me of all that must go. The hardest part for me is choosing which two bad habits I should get rid of.
Have a great holiday Ann!
Nienke

December 21, 2005 11:10 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hey Nienke! You have more than two bad habits? For shame! *gg*

You have a great holiday too!

December 21, 2005 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home