Thursday, January 12, 2006

*Chew* *Gnaw* *Chew*

Diana Peterfreund had a hilarious blog post the other day about her thoughts as she read over her galley proof.

Basically, her thoughts went something like this:

I'm brilliant
I suck
Oh what an incredible sentence!
Why the hell did I write that drivel?
I'm brilliant
I suck...

You get the idea.

I had one of those days today as I stupidly went back and re-read Out Of This World. Historically, whenever I do this the book sucks. It always starts out brilliant but devolves steadily the further into it I get. So, why do I do it to myself? Just another of life's many unanswerable questions.

However, at least I have the comfort of knowing that once this hellish psychle begins, the book is done. I'll have to add some detail to a couple of the love scenes if it gets contracted and of course there'll be the usual editing chores, but the mere fact that I know I suck tells me the story is told completely.

It's a wonder we writers can appear so normal in public.

*chew* *gnaw* *chew*

And how was your day?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jane/FabDame said...

Well at least you got to sit home and read and think about expanded love scenes. I had to schelp the dog to her monthly Vet visit, then take my girls for sports physicals so they can do Track this spring. To top it off, we went shopping afterward at the Outlet Mall (oh joy!).Well... you asked.
So when do we find out the publish date? (I all ready know it will be accepted)

January 12, 2006 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home