Friday, January 20, 2006

First Sale, Second Sale, Third Sale... Fourth?

Been talkin' to my chums about subsequent sales. Some of us still have only one under our belts, some have a half dozen. I'm working on my fourth and one dear friend just made her first, while another just made her second.

All of us at different junctures, yet I think we can all agree. That first sale is unbeatable. We did it! We scaled the peak and lived to inhale the clean, fresh air. We looked out over the world at a limitless horizon, full of possiblity and beginnings...

Huzzah!

But, um, now we have to get down.

And return to real life. And, well, survive.

So, when the second sale happens, survival is that much closer--if it happens.

What if it doesn't?

And what if it does but no third sale, or no fourth? What if one, or *gasp* two, is as good as it gets? What if three is as good as it gets?

You can see how it never ends.

But at least now, and always and forever, I and many of my stalwart brethren can say "I'm multipublished".

And that is a really, really good thing to be able to say.

The first sale can be an accident. Or a culmination of all the marketing knowledge you attain as you quest. Or, can simply mean you wrote one damn book that your editors or agents managed to sell to someone. That first sale is more like a successful first date--a good time but with no real meaning for the future. Unless you're Harper Lee, the subsequent sales are what establish you as a writer.

They're the ones that hit your heart and settle into your soul. They give you peace. Even if you never sell another, you were indeed a successful writer--at least at one time in your life.

What about you? Do you feel successful? If so, how many sales did it take for you to feel that way?

2 Comments:

Blogger THIS! Christine said...

erm, well I haven't had a sale yet and I still feel pretty successful. mostly because I have the respect of my peers. Huge.

X

January 21, 2006 3:23 AM  
Blogger Lyn Cash said...

I don't think I've hit the 'successful' mark as a published author, just as a writer. Every time I type the last word on a manuscript, I'm thrilled. (grin)

January 21, 2006 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home