Thursday, February 23, 2006

American Idol: The New Variety Show

I've been trying to figure out what got me so freakin' hooked on American Idol this year. It's the first year I've followed from the beginning to the middle, and I'll definitely make it to the end this time. But why? Why this year and not the last four?

I finally figured out it was the sheer variety of powerhouse talent. Each of the top contenders brings a different voice and a different style to the stage, and each is as compelling as the other. I want them all to win, with all my heart!

They remind me of me and my friends--the different voices and styles we bring to romance. No one's better, no one's worse. Just different. And we all need to stay in the game because it makes the show more compelling, makes the emotional investment deeper--makes us want to see it through to the end and relish a happy ending for all.

I just love the contestants! Never before has a wider range of everyday people been showcased. Here's my top three from each category:

Men

Taylor Hicks--the guy blew me outta my seat from the get-go. He's original, he's mega-talented, he is music--in it's purest, lushest form.

Elliot Yamin--this boy has some serious pipes. You'd never guess that voice would or could come out of that mouth. I was up in my room when he started singing and nearly fell down the stairs to get to him. He's not easy on the eyes but money can change that. I like his Smokey Mountain Bumpkin appeal. Hell, I want him to win just for his name!

Ace Young--while a little too George Michael for me, I recognize his talent. He's eye candy on a stick, and he can sing. Awesome name, too.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see a tie between Hicks and Yamin. There's no way I could choose. I think Ace will get a contract no matter what. In fact, I think they all will.

Women

Paris Bennett--how can you not be crazy for this pinchable peach of a chica? She's got everything a star should have--in spades--and few singers, dead or alive, could perform the songs she can.

Lisa Tucker--WOW! And she's just sixteen. Sixteen! She reminds me of a young Whitney Houston.

Katharine McPhee--arguably the best set of pipes but not as well-rounded a performer as the others, that I can see. But that can be learned. I'd vote for her as the top female because Paris has it in the can already and Lisa's not far behind.

*fangirl squeal*

I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Who are your picks?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Ann - I so feel your pain. I never watched American Idol, and then caught only the tail end last year because of (fellow Okie) Carrie Underwood.

This year, I started right from the beginning with the auditions, and I've even mentioned the word TIVO to the dh!

Like you, I really liked Elliott - and really, what's NOT to like about Ace?!

I have the girls taped!

February 23, 2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hi Jill! Great to see you!

I mentioned TIVO too! How funny is that? I work in the evenings so I have to miss alot :(

I thought the eliminations last night made sense, although I *do* get a kick out of Bobby Bennett. He seriously needs a Vegas gig, or a job as master of ceremonies on a cruise ship. LOL. Even his name is a throwback.

As for the rest of them, it's going to get harder to spot the so-called losers. What a nail-biter!

Thanks for stopping in!

February 24, 2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

You're spot on about Bobby Bennett's name. Too funny. He's a great entertainer and I think he'll find some place for sure.

I was a little sad about Patrick as he was GREAT during Hollywood week, but his performance was pretty bad.

February 24, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

I actually like most of the ones you do. Katharine being my favorite. The man said she moved awkwardly when she sang--told him it was nerves.

Lisa and Paris are so poised for their young age.

As for the guys...we're rooting for Taylor, Elliot and Ace as well.

I think Patrick should've had another shot. The one that bugs me a lot is Gideon. With Simon, that dude scares the hell out of me with his 'joker' smile

February 27, 2006 7:29 AM  
Blogger THIS! Christine said...

I'm sorry, I'm still hooked on Uzbekistan Idol. Far more netertaining, although perhaps not as talented.

X

February 28, 2006 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home