Friday, February 24, 2006

I Need My Space (but where is it?)

When I first started writing, we had one computer. It was downstairs in the husband's office. The children were still little, and home alot, so I got used to writing my books in the short snatches of time I could grab between crises.

Eventually it became apparent that I meant business, so for my birthday, I bought myself a computer and set up an office in the sitting room off the master bedroom. This worked great--except when my late-into-the-night hours kept the husband awake. But we worked it out and for the next few years, this is where I did all my writing.

Then I got published and bought a laptop. By then the husband's second computer became unreliable and he commandeered my desktop. My office sat unused and unappreciated for several months while I tapped away on my laptop in the living room. I began to feel almost guilty about not using my wonderful office. After all, it was mine! I'd painted it citrus orange and decorated it the way I wanted--much to the husband's angst. This was my space. My space. But I no longer used it.

So, a few weeks ago I moved everything back upstairs, bought the wireless-keyboard-from-hell, and set up shop again.

Did I write there?

Not much.

Suddenly my space had become a stranger to me. I didn't feel comfortable. It's on the north side of the house and gets no natural light. I felt isolated (which, oddly enough, is what I need to write) and pretty soon it took every ounce of willpower I possessed to even go in there and open up Word. I much preferred to take a nap on my sofa, in the sunny living room.

So, this morning I trotted the laptop back downstairs to my cushy leather chair by the window, and suddenly felt inspired again. It's not a chore to write here, in a pretty room with the sun streaming in. And I've got my uber responsive built-in keyboard to tap.

Took me long enough to realize what was bothering me!

What about you? Where do you write? Have you had the same spot for years or have you migrated around like me?

Do you need your space?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lyn Cash said...

In the house, one spot has done it for me - it's big, roomy, lots of wall space for hanging framed photos and a bulletin board.

When I travel, I like to use the view and a laptop for inspiration. My favorite spot is a free-flowing river in eastern Oklahoma, out on the front patio, wooden picnic table, the squirrels and deer for company, and lots and lots of coffee - lol.

Good to be home and reading your posts again. Missed you.

February 24, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Bron said...

Glad you've found your 'place'! It does matter - having the right environment around us is important.

I posted about mine - with photos - on my blog ;-)

February 24, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Once a long, long, long time ago--I needed a *certain* space in my house, the right music, perfect mocha, and the muse on my shoulder to write. Having a child shattered that entire routine. Now I can usually write any time and any place--and my laptop is perfect for that. :-) But then again, I have to weigh whether I want to write or sleep. Ha!

February 24, 2006 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home