Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Writer's Tools and a Well, This Sucks

First, the Well, This Sucks: I had eloquent and heartfelt responses to the My Space comments (as well as a warm welcome to Bethany) and Blogger ate it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blogger. Most of the time. But it has its bugs (which are fewer, thank God, than Bravenet). Suffice to say I'm feeling the worldwide love and the security of The Bats, and am very thankful Bethany found us too!

Now on to the Writer's Tools.

I'm sure ya'll read Miss Snark. I do. And I find most of her advice to be the sort of been-there-done-that stuff I've read for years. But this link is important for all writers, at any stage of their careers. I even think non-writers, or relatives of writers would appreciate it.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of a writer struggling for decades to get published, only to have it happen when she loosened her knots and did what this post tells you to do.

The only bit of advice I'd add to it is: keep searching for your editor. She's out there. It's your job to find her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

I'll follow that link...but I do have to tell you something. Saturday was THE day.

LAYOVER CAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! I held it up and squealed. "This is it! This is my buddy Ann's book!"

Of course, they all looked at me like I had two heads. The man snatched it from me and started flipping through it's brisk white pages, smelling all new like a book should smell and he paused. He sat down on his throne without looking and he read some more.

"Do you write stuff like this?" he asked me.

"Depends on what STUFF you're referring too."

"Hm. Kids are in here, so I can't say which stuff."

"Hm. Some of that stuff I write, just not with the same words," I tell him honestly.

"Hmm. Would you ever do some of this stuff?" he asks with a wicked grin.

"What stuff?" our youngest pipes up.

"Whale watching," he says.

"I want to see the whales!" the child replies.

Of course, pity all he saw were words and uh, pity that the man forgot the kid is starting to read, so he snapped the book shut before the kid could ask what words were.

It's gorgeous, Ann. simply gorgeous and hidden on a shelf in my closet so the 'kids' don't read all the 'good' parts.

February 27, 2006 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home