Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Multitasking: does it work?

My friends, the time has come to stretch my capabilities. Will they break under the strain? Who knows.

Do ya'll remember the Totally Awesome Book (TAB) I wrote with my fencing partner, Karen? No?? Hello! Pay attention, class! Well, I just got off the horn with her and she gave me the green light to go ahead and rewrite the story for today's market. So I'm gonna. And it's gonna kick ass!

*gg*

It is I tell you!

That is, if I can work on two projects at the same time. See, there's this little problem of a sequel I want to write for Out Of This World. The plot is solidifying. The characters are taking shape and starting to breathe and ask me when-the-hell I'm going to engrave their story--part of which is already engraved on my brain. Frankly, they're yammering.

But the old characters from the TAB are yammering too. And I'm so excited about it I could explode.

Technically I'd be writing a new book and revising an old one. But the revisions will be so extensive they'll constitute a rewrite. So many questions are welling up. Do Karen and I want this book to be exclusively in my voice? Can I rewrite while preserving what she originally brought to the table? Will the story lose some of its punch from the changes we brainstormed or will those changes strengthen it? Can I set one story aside after a few hours and effectively get into a different one?

Do I know what the hell I'm doing?

All these questions and more will be answered in the coming months. It's an experiment. An experiment whose time has come and will, hopefully, make me a better writer. Or at least give me insight into my limitations.

How about you? Do you work on more than one project at the same time? Or do you, like I did historically, put your all into one thing at a time?

Does multitasking work for you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Sometimes. But mostly not. At least during a few days period--I'll have to only write on one project.

Then again, I don't think I have ever put two novels head-to-head before. Hmmmm. Interesting. Can't wait to see how it works out for you.

March 21, 2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Multi-tasking should be my middle name. I juggle a job online, writing, family time, job online, family, writing--you get the jist.

I have the utmost faith in you that you can juggle these two stories. You write fast. Even if you don't neccessarily juggle with all your balls in the air, I think you can pull this off.

xx

March 21, 2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Kris Starr said...

Ugh. I multi-task regularly. It's the one drawback I have of attempting to work on four different projects at the same time. When I try to prioritize and focus solely on the must finish now stories, the others resort to sneaky tactics like planting new ideas for scenes in my head as I'm trying to drift off to sleep.

Y'think booze might shut them up?

(But to answer your question, I *think* it's working for me...but who am I to say? I'm just a newbie. *ggg*)

March 22, 2006 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home