Saturday, March 11, 2006

Revisions: the continuing saga

Well I found my fifty words and then some this morning, first thing. Ended up ramping the emotion in a scene near the end, which also served to underline a downplayed theme throughout the story and remind the reader it existed.

Why I couldn't do this a few days ago is beyond me. But it was important to find the right spot to add the words because added words have to serve the story. They can't just be tossed in willy nilly.

I was pleased to have these particular words serve several purposes. Makes me feel like I've done my job and makes me feel rather mature as a writer to have had the patience to wait for them. *gg*

I'm finding that as I travel along this "professional" road, my approach to writing has changed quite a bit. I spend far more time thinking and far less time writing. The books are getting done in the same amount of time, but as a result of all the thinking, I'm getting them down in an edited state and what's emerging is a strong draft right out of the gate. It's a good and bad thing, because I appear to myself and others as doing a whole lotta nothing. It's something I'm having to mentally adjust to.

How is your process changing as you mature in your craft--whatever that craft may be? Are you still using the same techniques that have worked for you in the past, or are they evolving? Do you have to keep telling yourself that as long as it's working, it's okay?

3 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

My 'pattern' of writing is constantly changing. But I do find that if I take the time to let the stories simmer--they DO come out much more succinct and on track than without the brewing period. Some of that is attributed to my comfortableness in my writerly voice. Some confidence. And some, is my laziness. The less rewriting I need to do, the better I feel. :-)

March 11, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hey Bethany! I visited your blog and saw you got yourself an agent! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure this is just the begining of big and beautiful things for you. I know several authors with the Trident Group. You're in wonderful hands.

Woooo Hooooo!

March 12, 2006 12:42 AM  
Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Interesting post, Ann. With time and experience my work has become more polished and I’ve grown more confident. Now my first drafts are often quite close to the final version Like you, I also do more thinking than actual writing at times. The night before last I made the mistake of getting up to go to the bathroom at about 3 a.m. My mind began whirling with nagging thoughts about my WIP. I’d left out this…I shouldn’t have done that…I need to change that…that whole last chapter won’t work…the opening should be stronger…is that sexual position I wrote even possible?... LOL

I jotted the rambling notions on the small pad of paper I keep on my nightstand and then tried to go back to sleep. Hah! More thoughts quickly intruded and I finally had to drag myself downstairs to the computer and get to work. The good news is that I finished the story last night and feel good about the changes. And then I submitted it. :-)

The biggest change for me, Ann, probably has to do with writing erotic romance. Specifically, writing graphic sex scenes. I had often included light sex scenes in my romantic comedy novels, but nothing that would pass for erotic romance, so it was difficult for me when I began writing them a few years ago. It felt strange and awkward at first and I found myself pondering for far too long over a few words, sentences and paragraphs, changing and revising like mad.

Today, I sail through those scenes effortlessly, having my characters do and say things that would have made me blush clear down to my toes a few years ago. My how things change. LOL

March 12, 2006 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home