Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Simon Uncovered

On Romancing The Blog and others in the blogosphere, there's been a discussion about Simon Cowell--THE judge on American Idol. Some think he's too nasty, others admire him for being a straight-shooter.

I think he's both. But his appraisal of Ayla last night gave me a whole new insight into him. See if you agree.

I though Ayla kicked ass last night. She'd been totally unmemorable to me until then. But yesterday she came out on stage looking like a freakin' goddess and proceeding to belt a Celine Dion song out better than the diva herself.

When it came Simon's turn to critique her, he told her she was a hard worker and he bet she became expert at everything she'd ever done--through sheer determination. He also told her she was still too mechanical and that she still didn't have what it takes to win.

Did anyone else get the subtext there--that she doesn't have what it takes to win. But she has what it takes to get what it takes?

He's drawn a bead on her psychological makeup. He threw her down another challenge and appealed to the hard worker in her. It's an extremely subtle manipulation. And very, very smart. Now he's going to wait and see what she does with it. I think he's betting that next week she won't be mechanical anymore. He's testing her and I think he has a high level of interest.

Let me tell you, it gave me a whole new respect for Simon. What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

I wont see the show over here til Friday!

March 01, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Playground Monitor said...

I think Ayla will shine next week. Last week, she gave a performance that had the hair standing up on the back of my neck. I believe she's a great pool of untapped (uh oh, here's the big word) potential.

Simon comes across as a big bully, but after watching AI for a few years, I see that he's usually right on the money. He predicted from the get-go that Fantasia would win and he pretty much did the same with Carrie Underwood. I guess we'll see how well he picks for this season.

BTW, the hair-raising moment last night was Elliott. Not much in the looks department (Ace has that one hands down *g*) but the guy can sing!

Marilyn

March 02, 2006 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
» »

November 15, 2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home