Monday, March 20, 2006

The Sopranos and Romance Writing

It's one of my favorites shows. I love the writing and the edginess and the actors' abilities to make you care about them even while they're killing people. I guess my love for that show is all about the art. All about taking a step back and admiring what creative, intelligent people can put together when they're allowed to.

Last night it managed to get me on a personal level.

Tony was in limbo. That mythical place between life and death when he had the chance to review his life, and sort of become the person he'd wished he was. Somewhere along the line of real life he'd lost his identity. And he couldn't get it back. But he wanted to.

I think we all go through that. Preferably before we die or become homicidal maniacs. ;)

We lose ourselves and then have to struggle to get us back. Tony didn't know who he was anymore, but he knew he was loved. He also knew that he loved someone. That message filtered through. And it underlines the power of love.

My grandmother died at 98. For the last 3 years or so of her life she didn't know who she was. But she knew she'd been someone and that knowledge sustained her and brought her joy whenever she found out who that someone she'd been, was. She knew she'd been important. That she'd been loved.

In the end, that's all there is folks. I often think of the phone transcripts from the doomed people caught up in 9/11. Every single phone call held the same exact message: I love you.

Every single person involved wanted those words to be their last legacy on earth. They wanted to leave love. Why? Because it's the most important thing in life.

Makes me proud to write about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jane/FabDame said...

Sheesh. Stop making me teary this early in the morning!

March 20, 2006 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home