Friday, March 10, 2006

Where Can I Get Your Book?

A while ago I blogged about people assuming I'm a children's book author. Haven't run into any more of those assumers lately, but there's another strange theme that seems to be following me around.

Inevitably, people ask where they can buy my book. When I say, "A bookstore." They say, "Really?" And a moment of shocked silence follows.

Um, yeah. I want to say. It's a book. You buy books in bookstores.

Am I the only person in the world who knew this thrilling little secret?

It's so funny. I really wonder what else they expect me to say. Maybe they expect me to say, "Radio Shack." I just don't know. Maybe, I'll start messing with them a little and tell them my book is only available in airport kiosks in third world countries. Or that they'd easily find it at Ticketmaster. Or that Trader Joe's has exclusive distribution. Because they really are utterly surprised they can get a book at a bookstore.

Life is so strange sometimes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

I get that too, Ann. I think it stems from the thing where people think that all REAL writers are filthy rich like Stephen King or JK Rowling, so if you're sitting in your cubicle or whatnot and you have a book coming out, it can't be a *real* book.

Do people also ask you how much you paid to get your book published? I get that. I'm always tempted to say that I paid Random House off in sex and apple pies.

March 11, 2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

in sex and apple pies...

LMAO!

I get that too! Probably the most frequent assumption is that I self-published. Maybe because people can't believe they've met a real life author. I guess they don't expect to see us at DMV or standing behind them in the suermarket, or taking their money at a car dealership *gg* And you're right, it all tracks back to the Stephen King Effect.

If only...

March 11, 2006 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home