Monday, May 08, 2006

The Aftermath

So immediately after child number one got hit in the eye with the biological weapon at Bamboozle, she complained of a black spot in her field of vision. It seemed to go away quickly enough, however, and yesterday passed without any complaint or even a mention of it on her part.

Until 10 o'clock last night.

Like the good mother I can be when I'm in the mood, I got on the 'net and researched black spots in the eye. By this time, the whole house was asleep and I'm sitting there by myself reading that this could be a MEDICAL EMERGENCY and that you should CALL 911 immediately. Time is IMPERATIVE. She could go BLIND. Or, it could be nothing.

I start thinking over all the facts: no swelling, no pain, the spot comes and goes. And I weigh this against: ten hours in the ER and a humongous bill.

I've never felt so alone, or more like a bad mother in my whole life.

This morning I kept her home until the eye doctor opened and all the while she's complaining about not getting to go to school (Yes. I have strange children). And for two hours the conversation went like this:

Me: Is the spot there?
Her: No
Me: Is the spot there?
Her: Yes
Me: Is the spot there?
Her: A little
Me: Is the spot there?
Her: Yes
Me: Is the spot there?
Her: No

But I didn't tell her the bad parts--only that it could be serious and she should be checked out. I think I hid my anxiety well, don't you?

So we went and stood outside the office and waited for them to unlock the doors. The doc immediately ushered her inside the examining room while telling the other patients they'd have to wait. Did I mention how much I love this guy?

He entertained her while he mapped out the interior of her eyeball, and reassured me as he finished each step. Of course it all turned out ok.

Did I wait too long? He didn't seem to think so given her lack of other symptoms, but the moral of this story is: the sudden appearance of black spots in the eye are indeed a medical emergency. I had no idea. Maybe you didn't either so I figured I'd pass the word along.

Oh, and watch out for flying water bottles. Oy.

5 Comments:

Blogger BossMack said...

good Post babygirl, I'll be back.

May 08, 2006 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Jane/FabDame said...

"Like the good mother I can be when I'm in the mood"
Sheesh - are you channeling me again?! It's a constant decision every day: good mom, evil mom, good mom, evil mom....sometimes it's moment to moment. Can you feel the mood swinging?
Glad the skeeter's ok!

May 08, 2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Lyn Cash said...

Oh, the joys of motherhood - thank God she's okay. I once gave The Kid a Relafin (he was 21 at the time) when he had a backache, only to wind up with him in emergency from anaphylactic shock - seems he's allergic. Lesson: Never medicate your children with something that works on you if they've never had it before. ACK!

Again, happy daughter is okay.

May 09, 2006 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Laura Hamby said...

I hate medical emergencies. I hate web md more-- I mean, you're already insane over something you/your child/spouse/other loved one may or may not have. Yay! Let's send the worried party to a place where... They. Can. Diagnose. Themselves! Yes! Brilliant idea! Just think! Doctors only PRACTICE medicine after years of education. Why shouldn't a worried Mom be able to do the same, without the education? I mean, honestly, if they're only PRACTICING after years of schooling and, well, practicing... what good are they?

Ann, glad everything worked for you/daughter in your favor, AND without the added benefit of a helicopter ride to the hopsickle...er... hospital.

May 09, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

So glad that everything turned out okay. I'm in awe that you stood there for that long. I think you're a damned good mom. We all have our moments. '-)

May 10, 2006 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home