Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Born a Ramblin' Woman


It's time to renew passports and I'm reminded that I haven't met my goal of touring Europe with the children.

When my father passed away, he left some money I put aside in a travel fund, so I could give my daughters the world the same way he gave it to me. So far, I've only given them Switzerland and parts of England.

To be fair, 9/11 (which occurred two weeks after we returned from Switzerland) and the subsequent bombings in Spain and London put a damper on things, and half the fam voted to stay home the summer I'd set aside for England and Scotland. Then my brother died and I felt that some of the money needed to be used to visit my aging mother.

So I've got some good excuses.

Still, I'm getting wander lust again. It's an itch that can only be scratched by hopping on a plane to a foreign land. Staying stateside just doesn't cut it. So, where to go, where to go. I'm thinking Brussels or Prague.

Any ideas? If you could go anywhere this summer, where would it be?

4 Comments:

Blogger Bron said...

You could always postpone Europe, and travel to Australia instead ;-)

The RWAus conference is on at the Gold Coast in August - does that tempt you???

(Not that I'll be there, as I'll be in the Outback for a couple of weeks, but if you come over for a few weeks, I'm sure we could meet up somewhere!)

May 30, 2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Karen Scott said...

Naples in Italy, absolutely beautiful Ann! Or if you want sun, then go to one of the less popular Greek islands!

May 30, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Bron--your unremitting bid to get me to Australia succeeded in at least making me check out the prices.

=:0

5k would net us RT fare and a 2 star hotel in Sydney for two weeks. Not bad until you consider Oz is as big as the freakin' US and the cities and towns are all over the place. My travel fund would be completely depleted. I fear Australia will have to wait until I hit the NYT bestseller list :(

Karen--OooooooooooOOOOOOoooo Naples or Greece! I had planned an Italy/Austria jaunt for our last trip--when the girls are in high school and have the fortitude for a really big journey.

I've been to Rome and Jerusalem and there's nothing quite like visiting the ancient places. They seem to help you somehow validate your own existence in the stream of time, don't you think? Make you feel part of something grand.

I want them to see everything, dammit!

Prague is alluring to me because the architecture survived WWII. However, it flooded a couple of years ago and sustained extensive damage from that.

*sigh*

More suggestions please!

May 30, 2006 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Kris Starr said...

How 'bout Finland? :)

Someday we're going back again. I'm also eligible to get a Finnish passport if I want it (and can cough up the $$$), and I plan to do that one of these days.

Someday want to go all over Europe, myself. Especially England, Ireland and Scotland. And Australia, too.

*waves to Bron* :D

I'd like to travel with The Kid when she gets older, too. That would be nice, I think.

May 31, 2006 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home