Thursday, May 25, 2006

My First Booksigning!


Thank you Joy of Joyfully Reviewed for this pic. It's the only one I have!

I sat with Kristen Hardy of Harlequin Blaze and had a ton of fun with her. We talked about back cover blurbs and whether or not they can make a book tank. She had me read one she was concerned about and I thought it sounded great. However, I told her I'd never been quite satisfied with one of my blurbs, and sure enough, the sales on that book weren't nearly as skippy as the others. It's funny how we both felt uncomfortable with the blurbs on the books that didn't sell well. Interestingly enough, the big HQ marketing machine wrote hers, and I wrote mine myself. Did we both screw up?

What do you think? Can back cover copy make or break a book?

3 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Welcome back, Ann! I loved looking at all your pics and reading the captions, as well as the last few posts. (Oh boy, I wish you hadn’t posted that caramel recipe!!) You look fabulous and it seems you had a terrific time. It’s too funny about you and Ashley wearing the same necklace! Talk about a small world.

As for blurbs hurting sales, I think it’s all pretty subjective. What one reader likes another doesn’t. Same with book covers and even the titles. If we do our best to write good stories, readers will discover us. If they like our work, then they’ll most likely buy even the books with bad blurbs, covers and titles. :-)

May 26, 2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hi Daisy! It was an awesome conference. You're definitely going next year. Don't make me come up there and drag you in by your hair.

Good advice about the blurbs. I'll chant it over and over to myself *gg*.

It's great to make contact with you! I missed ya!

May 26, 2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

For me, yes. If the blurb is icky, I generally put the book back on the shelf or for ebooks, move on to the next one. Sometimes I move past the blurb and read an excerpt(if there is one) but the majority of the time, if the blurb is sucky, I just move on.

May 27, 2006 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home