Friday, May 26, 2006

War Ride

Ya'll know I'm a shameless WWII whore. There are many reasons for this, but the biggest one is that my dad flew B-24 Liberators in the Mighty Eighth Airforce. He won four Distinguished Flying Crosses for his bravery and skill in that war, and someday I'll talk about some of his hair-raising missions.

Today I want to celebrate the fact that for the first time in my life I have the chance to see, hear, smell, and maybe even ride in a B-24 Liberator!

Every year there's a WWII weekend in Reading, PA. It's one of the most phenomenal events I've ever attended. They erect a military base complete with Officer's Quarters, hospital wards, vintage vehicles and aircraft, and everyone dresses up in 40s clothing or military gear. There are travelling museums and lectures by famous airmen and officials, and, of course, an airshow. It's incredible!

Anyway, the times I've attended they haven't had a B-24 there. This year, they do. Most of these mighty planes--the long range, heavy bomber workhorses that were the unsung heroes of the war--were melted for scrap. Only a few remain.

Here's my dilemma: it costs $425 to ride in one.

I just got back from a very expensive conference!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've always wanted to get a sense of what my dad saw, what he heard, what he felt, as he flew off on raids from which he might not return.

I want to touch the instruments he touched and feel the maneuvers of the aircraft he knew so well and so intuitively, he was able to make it perform under impossible conditions.

I guess, through this airplane, I want to know my father. I reckon that'd be money well spent. Don't you?


My dad


His crew and the plane he named the "Rubber Check", because they always return.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Ann,
Money very well spent. Besides if you don't do it you may never get the opportunity to again. I say go for it!!

May 27, 2006 2:13 AM  
Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Lawd, he was a handsome devil, cookie. No wonder yer so purdy :)

Money well spent, babe!

DC :)

May 27, 2006 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home