Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Don't Take My Kodachrome Away!

The past few weeks have seen multiple online author/reader spats, author/author spats, the ubiquitous author/reviewer spats, and the sorta kinda new author/reader/fangirl/rabid fangirl spats.

Oy.

Here's my stance on the whole rigamarole:

Yes, authors blabbing away endlessly online, in every available forum, about any and all aspects--good and bad--of their personal or professional lives, is a bad thing.

A verra bad thing.

Why? Because much like the tabloids do for celebrities, the Internet removes all the mystique surrounding the author (or performer--whatever the case may be) and it distracts the fan/reader/viewer from the work.

Reading books and seeing movies might be the last truly magical things we still have here on Earth. Even magician's secrets have been revealed! But the writing process--which includes movies, to me--is still magical, many times to both the reader and the author.

They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah

Why would we want to take that away by spouting off and showing what a$$holes we can be sometimes? There ain't no magic in being an a$$hole.

That's not to say authors should be aloof, superior, or totally silent. Just that, in my opinion, blogs, message boards, websites and chats are part of our work.

WORK.

And in those places we need to be professional.

Ever been to a party where highly regarded co-workers get drunk and stupid? Did the personal shenanigans of certain presidents overshadow their work? Does viewing a simple photo of Britney Spears make you want to take a shower and a megadose of penicillin?

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
everything looks worse in black and white



'Nuff said.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

*applauds*

Well said!

June 15, 2006 1:06 AM  
Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

Great post, Ann. I steer clear of a lot of forums, so I'm happy to say, I haven't seen these spats. I'm sure they would only depress me. I think what you've written here is very insightful, and I've had several of these thoughts myself. There's something to be said for mystique (and mutual respect).

June 15, 2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Thankie Missy Rae! *takes a bow*

Beth--they depress me too! It's funny because I don't have that reaction to verbal battles in perso. But when I sit here and read these things, this gloom just invades my soul.

Maybe it's because our lives revolve around written words and they have more power to affect us? I dunno. I've sworn many times to just keep away, but my curiosity (and the need to procrastinate) just keeps me coming back.

June 15, 2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Amen sistah... I agree 100%

June 16, 2006 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Tiana said...

I keep telling myself to not post on blogs, forumns etc becuase I always sound like an @$$. And even when I try to say I agree with someone I get it all wrong and they think I disgree.

Before I keep typing and sound more like a complete @ss I'll just say.

I AGREE! great Post

Tiana

June 20, 2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

What do you mean by "I agree", Tiana? Is that your way of snarking me? *gg*

I hear ya. *sigh* It's hard to resist commenting sometimes, but I always remind myself that what I have to say doesn't amount to a hill-o-beans in this crazy, mixed up blogosphere. The contributions I have for this world are best couched in my books.

Thanks for stopping by!

June 20, 2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

I just had an O. A standing one. LOLLOL

You are right on da money :)

Dakota :)

June 23, 2006 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home