Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What Child is This?

So in my continuing effort to be a Good Mother and deposit Good Mommy Points into the bank against forthcoming therapy bills, I make breakfast every day for my daughters.

This morning I made them smoothies. Into the blender went fresh blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, vanilla yogurt and crushed ice, as well as a scoop of soy/whey protein powder.

Child number one--better known as the child I could take hiking in Nepal cuz she'd gladly try yak meat if she had to--savored the smoothie with a reverence akin to worship and practically licked the glass afterwards.

Then came child number two. The one who subsisted on Pop-Tarts and Honey Nut Cheerios for one full year of her life--to the point I started referring to the Cheerios as Purina Baby Chow.

Why should I expect anything different now?

To be fair, she savored 3/4 of the smoothie, a blissful smile on her face. Then she sat and stared at the remainder for a while and finally pushed it away. "It was good, but I don't want anymore." She got up and brought me her glass.

"Okay. I'll have it," I said, and opened the hatch for her purple backwash.

"It was good," she repeated.

I looked at her in a leading way.

"But the texture reminded me of..."

We started up the stairs to get dressed.

"...reminded me of feet. Feet with peeling skin."

Hoooooooooooookay.

Who's child is this?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Ohhhhh dear. That is definitely the daughter of a writer!!!!

Good luck!

Best,
Kim

June 06, 2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Kris Starr said...

Oh, dear God, Ann...!
If I'd had any coffee in my mouth while reading your post, you'd owe me a new monitor now.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sweetheart, I grovel at your feet. You reeled me in with this one like a giant trout. I swear, I didn't see it coming.

You.
Are.
Brilliant.

Don't ever change. :D

June 07, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Kimberly, yes, I'm afraid so! The Force is strong in this one. *gg*

Kris, today at work I told my boss: you think you have problems, imagine being me for a living. He shut up real quick ;)

June 08, 2006 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home