Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hey You!

Went with the fam to see Roger Waters' Dark Side of The Moon tour last night down in Camden Tweeter Center.



You know, the old guy still has it. Wow. Some guys get so much more sexy with age. Even my teenaged girls acknowledged his towering hotness, without any prodding from me.

He opened with In The Flesh and some wonderful stage effects. The heavy bass that's so classic of Pink Floyd just rippled through the crowd. The woman next to me claimed three orgasms.

The first half of the show consisted of songs from The Wall and other albums, plus a brand new piece Waters dedicated to a Beirut family who'd been kind to him back in the early 60s. The second half was a complete run-through of Dark Side of The Moon. Waters offered no idle chit-chat, only music and an artistic array of slideshows and psychedelic effects that thematically matched the music. The pig made an appearance! He floated over the entire crowd with "Impeach Bush Now" written on his ass, and either got loose, or was released to tumble up into outer space.

While the band was most definitely not Pink Floyd, they played the music more than adequately and we all had that mesmerized effect of being in the presence of A Legend.

The entire time, I was waiting for Another Brick in The Wall, my personal favorite piece of rock music. I love the whole album. It's my hands-down favorite ever. But there are alot of songs in that collection, as well as others of Pink Floyd, that I regularly skip over because let's face it, they were a freaky band. Their music is so psychologically true it's like receiving an audio brainwave from some giant universal consciousness. All those thoughts can be rather invasive...

there's someone in my head but it's not me.

Not something I'm always in the mood for. Particularly when there are already so many other folks in there waiting their turns.

But I have an affinity for The Wall because of it's evocative WWII theme--and the grief of never knowing a father--and it's chronicling of a nervous breakdown. Who can't relate to that?

In a tour de force of dramatic timing, they played it for their first encore. The audience went nuts. It was a breathless, exhiliarating experience for me to hear it performed live by it's creator for the first time.

I've been to quite a few concerts in my life, but none of them can quite compare to this one. It's kind of like the difference between viewing a painting by any ordinary talented artist, then looking at a Picasso. You might not like the Picasso, but you can sense the genius emanating from it. And love it or leave it, it stirs things up inside.

From what I've read about Waters' monumental ego at the time of the bands' breakup, he might've agreed with this assessment--and simultaneously hated himself for doing so.

But that's ok. Without that ego, we wouldn't have this music.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Here's a review that says it all

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyn Cash said...

really kewl post - love Waters!

September 17, 2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Desiree Erotique said...

My eldest grieved at the news that Syd Barrett passed away. I enjoyed their music and you're right, who can't relate to something from The Wall?

Indeed, Mr. Waters still looks good!

September 19, 2006 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home