Thursday, October 05, 2006

Arcanity Insanity

Because I write contemporaries I don't have to spend a whole lot of time researching. But I do have to do some. Generally I can be found looking up flight procedures, genetic testing, names of obscure galaxies, University addresses--pretty typical stuff. The other day I ran across an esoteric tidbit of information I could've used for Layover, if I'd had any inkling at all that I'd need it!

Seems that jets travelling west fly at even-numbered altitudes, whereas those flying east do so at odd-numbered intervals. One of the reasons for the tragic plane crash in the Amazon was that one of the jets was at an even-numbered altitude when it shouldn't have been, and its wing clipped the doomed airliner's wing in passing.

How does this relate to Layover? After a steamy kiss in the cockpit, Jack, piloting a westbound plane, is instructed to ascend to 39,000 feet...

Oops! heh heh. Sorry about the mid-air collision that ended your romance before it even began. I didn't know!

Guess it's a good thing I never handed in that Air Traffic Controller application back in the 80s when they were desperate to hire people like me (I did pass the test!)

Anyway, the glaring geographical error in the e-book version far outweighs this small, arcane one. Practically no one would notice. But it's interesting.

Have you found small, strange errors like that in your writing or in your reading? If so, spill. Add to the arcanity insanity!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bron said...

Have you found small, strange errors like that in your writing

Hmm.... like realizing that I'd refered to three seperate creeks in one novel, and they all had water in them - in a drought, on the edge of the Outback. Where if it's got water, it's a river. In flood.

So I had to hurriedly go and 'dry up' all those creeks...

October 05, 2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Oh those pesky creeks *gg*

Right now I'm wrestling with the problem of where to land an alien cruiser in Seattle where it won't be noticed. Boeing field--hiding in plain sight? Walmart parking lot with all the other aliens? OOOOOhhhh, I know! At the Experience Music Project!

http://tinyurl.com/zkm6t

OMG. It LOOKS like an alien spaceship. This is awesome.

Thanks for posting a comment, Bron. I wouldn't have thought of this without that little bit of brainstorming.

October 05, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Sal said...

Haven't had that error in writing, but on our first day of filming last month, one of the Museum stewards said our lead actor's uniform simply wouldn't do - no rank, no insignia. We ended up borrowing a jacket from the museum, but the only one that fitted the actor was one with Navigator insignia, not Pilot - cue hasty script rewrites that night, ready for filming next day.

October 08, 2006 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home