Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hafta Hatha!

Child number one dragged me, kicking and screaming, to a yoga class tonight. I've been casting fruitlessly for a new exercise and yoga was about the last one on my list. I prefer to do a sport--like tennis, fencing or a martial art--and learn something while I get in shape. But we had paid for a group of sessions at a new yoga studio long ago, and this seemed the time to get our money's worth.

Wow. Am I glad I did.

The room was candlelit and fragrant, and the music was a combination of pan flute and what sounded like Buddhist/hindu chants. It set an excellent mood and transported me to another realm immediately. But that wasn't even the best part!

I feel like my body was slowly and gently disassembled over that hour-and-a-half and put back together properly by a master craftsman. My back actually wants to stay straight. I don't have to remind it. Every muscle in my body feels good. A little shaky. But good.

We ended the evening with three long ohms, and the act of joining voices with the others like that had a profound effect on my spirit. I expected to feel stupid, ya know? But I didn't.

I will so, totally go back to that class.

Anyone else out there practicing yoga? How long? Did you feel the same way after your first class? Do you hafta have your hatha? (say that three times fast)

4 Comments:

Blogger Melani Blazer said...

oooh, now that's something I'd so wanna try, but do you think I can find anyone to go with me? (And you live sooooo far away!)

Maybe I'll have to be brave and go alone. It sounds heavenly tho. Have fun! (thinking I bet that's real good on the muse as well as the muscles, eh?)

October 06, 2006 1:55 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Be brave! My advice would be to go to a studio, though, and not the Y or a gym. I tried yoga before in both those places and the setting was too sterile, bright and cold.

The music, lighting and fragrance of this place is what helped make the experience tanscendental. Shows how important all the sensory elements are for a successful result--at least for me.

The muse definitely benefitted. I think having the body feel so good frees up so much more energy. All this from one visit. Imagine! I'm looking forward to seeing how much more I get from it!

October 06, 2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger Charlene Teglia said...

I learned how to relax into the pose from yoga. And that really helped me write; relax into it, instead of straining to make it happen. A valuable lesson I've never forgotten!

October 09, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

What good advice, Charli! I'll try that this week. For the first time in years, I'm actually looking forward to exercise. I picked up a T'ai Chi DVD over the weekend to supplement and am anticipating that too. Any T'ai Chi afficianados out there?

October 10, 2006 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home