Sunday, November 12, 2006

Famous Last Words

Over on Billy Mernit's blog a commenter mentioned a good epitaph for Ah-nuld would be: I'll Be Back!

I love me a good epitaph. Here's a sampling of real ones.

Dean Martin
"Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime"

Edgar Allen Poe
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."

Will Rogers
"I never met a man I didn't like."
(ed. note--too bad Mae West missed out on that one)

Mel Blanc
"That's All Folks!"

Jack Lemmon
"Jack Lemmon in..."

Billy Wilder
"I'm a writer, but then, NOBODY'S PERFECT"
(the last line from Some Like it Hot)

Rodney Dangerfield
"There Goes The Neighborhood."

Jackie Gleason
"And Away We Go"

Last words: Edmund Gwenn, actor, d. September 6, 1959
"Yes, it's tough [dying], but not as tough as doing comedy."

These dying words are so memorable, so characteristic, so lively. Even in death, these performers needed to entertain us and in doing so, remain alive.

I don't think I've written my epitaph yet, although it would be very cool to have a phrase that defines you and your impact on the world. A last logline, if you will. I'll probably put mine in limmerick.

What about you? Do you have your epitaph ready to go? If so, let us have it (so to speak...) or if you know of a great celebrity one (actual or potential), put it in comments and I'll add it to the list. Let's hear those famous last words!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brookelina said...

Hey that was me! Wait, that's not my epitaph. I meant that was me on Billy's blog.

I'll have to think about my epitaph now.

Thanks, now I'll be up all night.

November 12, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hey that was me! ain't so bad as far as epitaphs go ;) Might want to reconsider...

Glad to see you here, Brookelina!

November 12, 2006 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home