Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ann's Top Ten Romance Heroes of all Time

Heather Rae's comment in my JDM post below gave me an idea. For the next couple of weeks I'm going to post my top ten romance heroes of all time--in no particular order. I'm not organized enough for that here in deadline hell.

Most of them will probably be from movies, cuz hey, girls are visual too. But, we'll see how it all washes out.

Without further ado:

Number Ten:



Zach Mayo, An Officer and A Gentleman.

I'm not gonna argue. The movie had flaws--it was a few chunks shy of full arc between the leads, melodramatic, and contained some really stilted dialogue. But oh, the passion. Here's an erotic romance before its time. Zach and Paula's relationship was purely, palpably carnal and it developed (somewhat) from there.

His character arc, on the other hand, was sparely and artfully rendered, profound and complete. A self-serving lost-boy finds his soul and Does The Right Thing--in what might be the most breathless ending in a romance movie EVAH.

I also loved how Lou Gossett Jr.'s drill sergeant Foley never broke character. Today we'd be treated to a tear or two and a moral lecture.

Mayo: I won't ever forget you, Sergeant.
Foley: I know.
Mayo: I wouldn't have made this if it weren't for you.
Foley: Get the hell out of here.

Perfect.

On the hottie scale, Richard Gere, imho, hasn't lost much edge. He's aged gracefully and doesn't try to look younger. The children also think he's hot--a failsafe test.


Fun footnote: not long ago one of my neighbors literally ran into him in NYC. She had her head down, pushing through the masses when BAM! Looking up, she froze and had a hummanahummana moment. Mr. Gere held up his hands, smiled in resignation and murmured, "I know. I know."

Does Zach Mayo make your top ten?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home