Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Torn Between Two Lovers

It's happened to all of us at some point. You're reading a romance novel, becoming engrossed, beginning to sympathize with the heroine and fall in love with the hero, who maybe isn't quite your type, but he's got something there...

BAM!

From stage right enters...

The Other Man.

The secondary hero who leaps off the page and into your suddenly pounding heart--from the moment you read his name.

The next thing you know, you're watching for the slightest reference or mention of him. Scanning ahead for more, finding yourself racing through the story so you can move on to the next book in the series because surely THIS MAN demands his own tale.

This is happening to me right now as I read Devil in Winter, the third installment of Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower Quartet. As thrilling as the hero, St. Vincent, is, witness the entrance of Cam Rohan, a Gypsy friend of the heroine's:

Even when Cam's manner and movements were restrained, there seemed to be an invisible flourish, a suggestion of physical charisma...Cam was well-dressed in dark clothes and polished shoes, but as usual his hair wanted cutting, the thick black locks curling over the crisp white edge of his collar...Cam regarded her with the remarkable golden-hazel eyes that often lulled people into forgetting about the nimble mind behind them. At times his gaze was so penetrating that he seemed to be looking right through you...as if he were watching something behind you.

I have a love/hate relationship with these events. On the one hand, I want to be swept away by the real hero, fall in love with him alongside the heroine and be heartbroken when the story ends. On the other hand, now I've got something to look forward to. Because of course I Googled Cam Rohan and found he's getting his own story in Mine Til Midnight.

Phew. Can't wait.

But now I've got to re-bond with St. Vincent so I can give Devil in Winter the attention it deserves. It's a really good book. Yet, though this re-bonding is possible, things between me and St. Vincent will never be quite the same. Cam Rohan has irrevocably turned my head.

I feel so cheap.

Has this happened to you lately? Which book? Are you often torn between two lovers?

11 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Yes, as a matter of fact this has happened to me lately. In Nalini Singh's Slave To Sensation. Lucas was the hero, but there's that deep, brooding, loner thing going on with Dorian and wowzers I can't wait til his story!

May 15, 2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I loved Cam, too, and I believe he's slated to be the hero in an upcoming Kleypas book.

I felt very strongly that Tony Martinez, the big, bad-ass biker dude in Lori Armstrong's phenomenal mystery Blood Ties needed to be featured more in her next book. Thankfully, she agreed and I got plenty of Tony in Hallowed Ground. Tony is more anti-hero but he has a chemistry, a sexiness, an appeal that is undeniable -- even when a sensible woman knows she should run in the opposite direction.

May 16, 2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Those brooding, dangerous ones get us every time, don't they?

*feminine quiver*

May 16, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Ann. Wow, I couldn't have done any better for advice.

You have hit the sweet spot with your suggestion. A little romance will work. And I do love romance in my films. It's just that this one has too much of everything and I need the page count for the racing story. I'm thinking a James Bond approach.

Feel free to drop by anytime, not that I blog much. You are now on my blogroll.

Vince

May 16, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Wow! I'm so pleased I could help. Good luck with the rewrite and you're on my blogroll too! Thanks for the picker-upper.

May 17, 2007 5:42 AM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

I've read some of your posts. Great character development material and very useful to screenwriters.

I WILL be back for more.
Thanks, Ann.

May 17, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hey Vince, you gave me an idea. We should do some of these memes and Thursday Thirteens as our characters!

It'd be a great way of getting to know them and much more fun than stoopid, boring interviews.

Thank YOU for sparking that one!

May 17, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Antonia Pearce said...

Ah, yes. The very same book. For a second, I thought Cam might end up the hero his presence was so powerful. I'm so happy he's getting his own story.

Off topic, but I really, really want to see Violet get a chance at love. I think she deserves a book of her own.

May 18, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

Ann, I'm in stupid mode. I think I know what "memes" are, but what are "Thursday Thirteens"?

I've some of your posts but not ALL of them it seems.

May 18, 2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

Oops. Forgot "read" in that last line. Freaking words, huh?

May 18, 2007 6:19 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Antonia, I haven't met Violet yet. This is actually the first Wallflower book I've read. And YES, Cam is so powerfully drawn he could've easily provided a nice twist and become the hero. That would've been cool.

Vince-- Thursday Thirteens are basically memes that alot of bloggers participate in on, you guessed it, Thursdays! If you scroll down a bit, or cruise the recent archives, you'll find some of mine.

The idea is to choose a topic, like thirteen favorite songs, or thirteen things I hate, and list them so bloggers can get to know each other better.

Would be useful as a character development thing!

May 18, 2007 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home