Monday, July 02, 2007

A Break from The Break

I made it into the final round of the Samhain Best First Line Contest! Yay! Like Rocky, I went the distance and that's good enough for me. At least I know this book has generated some interest *gg*. Here's the complete, final five-line entry:

Dogs of War: Urban Fantasy Romance

"The dog shoplifts."

Sandra Morton eyeballed the German Shepherd sitting on the sidewalk outside her house -- a glossy black-and-tan, big-boned beauty and, according to Seeing Eye liaison Tom Crane, a terminal kleptomaniac.

Tom shifted his weight from foot to foot precisely twenty times and pleaded, "Don't say you can't cure him."

Over the past several months, her Powwower's empathy had already alerted Sandra that in the revitalizing neighborhoods of Philadelphia and beyond, anxiety disorders were the new black.

There was something in the air, and on this placid spring day, Sandra precognized it bore no resemblance to love.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Doug said...

Congrats, Ann, and thanks for delurking at my place. I can't tell you how relieved I am that I didn't groan loudly in my blog over "Powwower". (Guess it could have been more painful. You could have said used "Bowwower".)

Thanks for your comments today. I appreciate it. And best of luck in the final round!

July 02, 2007 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Doug said...

Oops. Dratted lack-of-edit-button.

July 02, 2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Heeheehee, Doug. I almost DID use bowwower. But, alas, I have found that alot of readers hate puns. I happen to love them. Oh well.

July 03, 2007 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Melani Blazer said...

Ann! Congrats! I've been following the contest and love your entry. :) Hope to see the whole thing in book form soon!

July 03, 2007 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Bev said...

I've been following all of the entries on the Samhain Website. Yours is one of the best. Good luck to you.

July 03, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hey there Mel!! *tackle hug* Thanks, kid. Don't be such a stranger (she says to herself too...)

Bev, what a sweet thing to say! Thank you very much!

July 03, 2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger Script Demon said...

Hey, Ann. Congrats! Hope you're enjoying your summer. Funny enough, I just posted my own "gone fishing" entry. But it's not the relaxing kind of fishing I'm still at.

Ever see The Old Man and the Sea (actually I should say "ever read...?" since your blog leans that way. I'm Spencer Tracy and this screenplay is that fish he caught. The battle's over though. Now I just have to keep my catch in one piece as the producer sharks start taking bites out of it.

I'll keep visiting till you're back on the air. Ciao!

July 03, 2007 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home