Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thirteen Little Known Facts About My Stories!



1) Out of This World began life as a zany contemporary and only morphed into a Futuristic after I realized Arnie had to have better reasons to think the insane things he does ;)

2) Layover was the result of being told time and again by editors that I had too much going on in my stories. I needed to focus more on the romance and, as they say in the industry, "put the couple on an island." I decided to put mine in a cockpit.

3) Miss Behavior was a full-length novel that grew boring and stupid, even to me. I realized it was because Gage had no conflicts and no amount of force on my end could give him any. Some people just aren't conflicted. D'oh! Don't you wish you knew more of them? I do.

4) Coffee, Tea or Lea? came about because of this satirical article in The Onion.

5) I didn't know how the hell Out of This World was going to resolve until the last possible minute. It tortured me for weeks. I learned the ending in a dream.

6) Since I didn't want to go through that torture with A Lick and A Promise, I programmed myself (with Stephen King's help) to look for themes and symbols. As a result, I dreamt ALAP's resolution very early on.

7) I like having a title to guide my way. I can't write an unnamed book. Luckily for me, I've gotten to keep all but one title.

8) The working title of A Lick and A Promise was Down and Out of This World. But way back when I got the idea for the story, before I knew it was connected to OOTW, I called it *drumroll* A Lick and A Promise. That's the one EC liked.

9) In A Lick and A Promise, Dove's Great Aunts, Penny and Poppy, were inspired by actual, living beings -- the two parakeets I had growing up!

10) Dove is named after my childhood cat.

11) There is a real Lorna Merryfield. She wrote to me!

12) The Mooney airplane featured in Miss Behavior, Out of This World, and A Lick and A Promise was owned by my late brother. I rode in it.

13) The emergency landing in Miss Behavior actually happened. Not to me, and not in my brother's plane. Thankfully, to a friend of his. Heh.



1. Gabrielle

2. Heather

3.
You're next!
This site is using auto-links. If you are participating in Thursday Thirteen, enter your name and URL in the form below and press Enter.
Your name:
Your URL:
Please leave a comment after linking... Thank you!
And have you read about Mister Linky's new features?

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

This was a neat post. All the background on your books. It's always fun to see inside the mind of an author.

Now that I've read everything that you have written, when is your next book coming out? Tomorrow? HeeHee!!

August 16, 2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Hardy har har. I have a Quickie under construction, then I have to decide between the Urban Fantasy shapeshifters and Armageddon Out of This World (working title *gg*)

Which one do you think I should write first?

August 16, 2007 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

Oh definitely, "Armageddon Out Of This World"! Seriously, the Quickie sounds promising. Will it be ready by tomorrow?

Urban Fantasy shapeshifters? That's something new for you. What made you decide on that genre?

August 16, 2007 6:26 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

The Quickie is a return to contemporary -- just so you know. It's halfway done so if I don't have that cold beer in the fridge, I MIGHT could hand it in tomorrow!

Too bad I lurrrrrv beer. Heeheehee. Sorry!

I honestly never thought I'd do shifters, or Urban Fantasy, but I had this idea for erotic shifters about a year ago. As it coalesced over the months, culminating in the Samhain first line contest, I kinda came to a fork in the road and realized the story could remain a erotic comedy novella series, or go bigger, into a more mainstream arena. That's where I think I'm headed.

But it's all new and kinda scary. Never done shifters, never done fantasy, never done a BIG book, and I've never done a book where the romance won't be the main focus. It'll be strong. But not the focus.

Thanks for asking. Now I've gone and scared myself all over again ;)

August 16, 2007 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

I still like the opening line in the Samhain "first line contest", "The dog is a shoplifter". That really intrigued me. Are you going with that or has that been put on another shelf? It sounds as if your plate is full right now. I'm really looking forward to all of it.

P.S. I love beer also!

August 16, 2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

That paragraph will definitely be part of the story, but I'm not sure whether it'll be the opening scene or not. There's a ton of backstory so I have to figure out how to structure the novel to tell it.

I'm glad it intrigued you! I definitely have enough to keep me busy the next couple of years, at the sluggish rate I write. Wish I could wiggle my nose and make the words appear on the page ;)

August 17, 2007 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home