Sunday, October 07, 2007

Scared Pinkless

On Friday I worked all day at the car dealership. Normally I'm the cashier/receptionist. But every once in a while I get to fill in for the courtesy driver -- someone who shuttles people back and forth from home or work while they get their cars serviced.

I love this job and have actually applied at another dealership for a regular position. It has to be the funnest job in the universe. You get to talk to people all day, see where they live, and learn new ways to get places. I'm getting an in-depth tour of the town I've lived in for 14 years, and seeing a side of it I didn't even know existed. Everyone in the dealership secretly covets this position.

Anyway, Friday was a slooooow day. I only shuttled one person first thing in the morning. So the rest of my day was spent hanging out, bothering my coworkers. However, as I've mentioned before, the region where I live is riddled with famous people. Alot of them come to my dealership.

So, on Friday I got to spend an hour or so in fascinating conversation with Pink's daddy!

Pink graduated from the same HS my daughter currently attends. She's a local girl made good and for many years her dad was her manager. He traveled all over the world with her on tour and finally retired when the gruelling schedule felled him with a heart attack. Yeah, it's that cruel. I believe it when you look at some of the play dates -- day one Indonesia, day two Upper Volta etc.

He told me lots of goss about Britney and K-fed (he knows them both pretty intimately) which I won't repeat here, as well as a few others. Although he talked alot about Pink, he also bragged extensively on his other children, all of whom are equally successful in their chosen fields.

But the most interesting part of the conversation was when he mentioned he had written a song way back during a year-long tour of duty in Vietnam. On her latest album, I'm Not Dead, Pink recorded that song with him. They sang it together.

At one point they performed it live in front of VH-1, MTV etc. and he said he was so frightened, his feet wouldn't work. The recording studio alone intimidated the crap out of him and he doubted his ability to go through with it.

"Was it more scary than fighting in Vietnam?" I asked.

He looked at me for a long moment. "Actually," he said. "It was."



What about you? Would you rather fight in a war, or perform on stage in front of bajillions of people? What scares the pink out of you?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sally Painter said...

Wow, Ann. You have a cool job for sure! And this is a great story about how you met Pink's dad and also the youtube explanation of the song. Thanks so much for sharing!

October 07, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Ciana Stone said...

Woo hooo!! A Hussy Driving Daddy Pink. You gotta love it.

What scares me? Elevators and sharks (not in that order) but surely the two things that scare the bejesus out of me. Sharks - easily avoidable. Elevators, easy unless you have to make it to the 15th floor in heels - then it's hold your breath and get a death grip on the person closest to you.

Can't wait to hear more exciting adventures in the driver's seat :)

Hugs-
Ci

October 07, 2007 6:52 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

You betcha, Sally! I'm glad I was able to find the song. From what I understand, it's not even listed on the album. It's just a surprise for the millions who buy it.

Syn, when I was at RT Daytona, my cab driver told me she never went swimming without a knife strapped to her thigh. I can so picture a Hussy like you with a thigh holster *gg*.

I'm not scared of elevators, although I'd definitely perform in front of zillions before I'd go to war. At least I *think* I would. But "public speaking" fears rank right up there with death for the majority of the population.

Wild animals scare the crap outta me too, though. Bears the most. We've had incidents around here where bears stole babies out of their strollers in their backyards. So I'd have to agree with you on that. A human attack, I could run or fight. But a big, predatory animal? No chance, baybeeee.

October 07, 2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

A long time ago, someone asked Margaret Mead about women serving in combat. Her reply (and I hope that I'm quoting correctly)was, "Women shouldn't be in combat as they are too vicious"!

I don't know whether or not she had tongue-in-cheek when she said it but she did say it. Of course, Ashley Montagu might have made some snarky comment about her that day!

I would rather fight in a war than perform in front of a bunch of people I don't know. At least in war, I would have a weapon other than my mouth!

As for my own fears: flying and high bridges. My acrophobia knows no bounds. Also, I don't think that I would want to tackle wild animals either.

October 07, 2007 9:22 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

That's a hysterical quote from Ms. Mead! Probably true too, especially when you consider that historically, male troops from both sides used to socialize in the evenings, then get up the next day and kill each other.

I simply can't imagine women doing that.

October 08, 2007 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home