Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How To Give a Bad Review

No, I'm not being facetious. This is one, classy, poor review and I liked how she outlined the reasons the book didn't work for her. I haven't gotten a review like this since Paperback Reader shredded Layover.

Were my poor widdle baby feelings hurt this time? Not in the least--so no need for all you rabid fans out there to rush to my defense. Unless you want to ;)




A Lick and a Promise by Ann Wesley Hardin



Written by Tara Renee
Friday, 12 October 2007


Book Image

Title: A Lick and a Promise
Author: Ann Wesley Hardin
Publisher: Ellora's Cave
Genre: Futuristic
Publication date: August, 2007
ISBN: 9781419912252
Pages: 133
Series:
Reviewer: Tara Renee


Heat Level:


Rating:

Mark Arianos comes to Earth to retrieve a child who is capable of saving his home world. He encounters problems when he lands on Earth and must acclimatize to the oxygen. He seems to others as if he were drunk.

Dove Hansen is a nanny to a young child who is possibly the most gifted person on Earth. Her life is hectic and caring for young Michael can be a challenge with keeping up with his mind. Her nights are consumed by a lover who comes to her in her dreams, pleasing her and never showing his face. When Dove meets Mark she is disdainful of a man who seems to have a serious substance abuse problem. She has no idea that Mark is the dream lover who visits her.

Mark gradually comes to realize the full impact his plan will have and must decide if the benefits of his plan are worth the agony removing a young child from his home will cause. Also, in order to have the woman he has grown to love, he must share all his secrets with her and risk losing her if she cannot accept the revelations.

A Lick and a Promise is an interesting tale by Ann Wesley Hardin. The plot is a little hard to follow at times and I found myself needing to reread some parts to fully understand some situations. Dove is a fun character with her love for Michael and her sassy attitude. I didn’t really like Mark. I understand that his upbringing has warped his outlook, but I just never warmed to him. My favorite character in the story is Michael. This young boy has a mind that keeps everyone around him on their toes. He made me smile all through the book. The sex, both in dreams and in the physical, is hot, but it was just not enough to keep me glued to the book. A Lick and a Promise simply wasn’t to my taste, but others may enjoy it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

I think if the reviewer had read OOTW first, she might have given a better review. I have learned when reading series that you really need to start at the beginning. Of course, some books are so bad that you can't read another line, let alone another book. That didn't seem to be the reviewer's problem. Also, the reviewer may not like sci-fi either.

November 14, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

True, Bev. But you know, buried in there is a major compliment.

One of the things I most enjoy about reading is when an author engages my mind so thoroughly I can't skip a single word and have to continually go back to check on stuff I might have missed. To me, this is the hallmark of tight writing. Blink and you'll miss stuff and you aren't continually being spoon fed information.

You actually have to think. Quelle horreur!

So in a big way, I took her frustration and confusion as a compliment. LOL. Twisted maybe, but that's the way I am ;)

November 15, 2007 6:28 AM  
Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

God forbid we should think!!!!

I have a feeling that the reviewer is going to find herself thinking about this book more than she would care to.

I once read a book by one of my favorite authors and my reaction to it was pretty much the same as the reviewer's, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally caved and went back and read it again. Guess what? I really liked it the second time around.

November 15, 2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

HA! I was just reading another blog on the topic of bad reviews, including mention of Mrs. Giggles and Paperback Reader. Neither of which has reviewed any of my books. But I did get one review of Beg for Mercy, which otherwise has about 99% positive reviews, in which the reviewer bemoaned the loss of the trees used to print the book! It was so nasty that I was amused rather than offended.

November 29, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Bev, I've actually gotten a private email from one of the reviewers who asked for OOTW to be written because she loved Arnie in Miss B, and she said: I had to read OOTW twice to love it. LOL. What can I say? Maybe I'm a "try it twice" author. But in the end, I can't think of a better compliment.

Toni -- Mrs. Giggles loves my aliens, and so do most others. So the few who don't don't get to me.

I have no idea how she'd feel about my humans ;)

PB Reader only trashed, I mean, reviewed Layover. But HelenKay and I are friendly and she privately told me she loved my second book, Coffee, Tea or Lea? Do I wish she went public with that sentiment? Yeah, baby! But that's the biz, and I still love HelenKay ;)

Thanks for commenting!

November 29, 2007 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home