Friday, February 15, 2008

Grounded For Life

So at the coffee shop the other night, DIP brought me my second Cafe Mocha of the evening and set it by my computer while I wrote. It sat there a while, ignored, forgotten, until I took a break and took off the lid to insert a straw. Much to my surprise and dismay the cup was half empty -- and I'm usually a half-full kinda gal!

I looked at it, shook it, but no cafe mocha magically welled to the brim, so I got up and approached the barista.

This was my first mistake.

A dark haired girl who had previously told DIP and I how cute we were together, she glanced at the cup, at me, at the cup, at me and said, "Yes?"

I said, "It's kind of empty."

"No it's not."

We both stared at the cup.

I said, "I haven't taken a sip yet."

She said, "So?"

*crickets*

I said, "It's only half full."

She said, "It wasn't that way when I gave it to you."

*crickets*

I said, "I'm sure it wasn't, but now it is."

We stared at each other. But by now, disbelief is settling in. I feel like Bob Newhart.

I said, "I'm not saying it wasn't full. But now it isn't and I'd like it to be full."

Without a word she grabbed my cup, dumped some leftover foam into it, slapped on a new lid and shoved it across the counter.

I carried it back to the table. DIP looked up from his computer and said, "You realize we're not cute anymore."

Yeah, I sort of got that.

He sighed. "We can't ever come back here."

Then last night at the Thai place -- where DIP had a reservation, btw -- the water buffalo, er, hostess saw us, pointed to a table and said, "Over there."

DIP said, "Do you have anything away from the door?"

"No."

Another Bob Newhart moment.

I said, "It's all right, I'm cool with it. There's a radiator nearby."

We sat down and the hostess brought us our menus. She said, "There's a radiator nearby."

"I've been coming here for twenty five years," DIP said. "This has never happened to me."

Yeah, I sort of got that.

He sighed. "We can't ever come back here."

I can't wait to see where else we'll be banned.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

God only knows where you'll be banned next! Just as long as your books are'nt banned.

What happened with the engineer who looked and acted like he fooled around in the General Lee?

February 15, 2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Oh, well he didn't even live in PA. Was only gonna be here on business that night. So I decided not to go out. Had to work the next day and quite frankly, DIP exhausts me.

February 15, 2008 8:16 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

Okay, does DIP stand for Date-in-Progress? Darned Interesting Person? Decathalete Inventive Pe**s? It's probably something easy and obvious that I've overlooked.

Whatever the case, he sounds like fun. I'm happy for you my friend. Next time a place bans you, tell them you've been to better places that haven't thrown you out yet.

Enjoy, Ann! You deserve it.

February 17, 2008 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home