Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Everyone's Up and Great in Kansas City

Day one, Friday: FabDame sleeps until 7:30. She's still tired from chemo. And I came all this way...

Later on she makes me back her seventy-five foot van out of the garage, making one lame-o excuse after another. I drive us to the cancer center where FabDame has blood drawn and pressure tested.

I can see this is going to be a really fun trip.

But, the afternoon improves when we meet Sunny for lunch and FabDame perks up enough from the TexMex to stop in a cool little thrift shop we pass on the way home. Finally!

FabDame takes a nap. She is such a slacker.

Day two, Saturday: FabDame is up and dressed as I stumble into the kitchen, scrabbling for my iced coffee. She makes oatmeal, scrubs the kitchen and folds the laundry.

I check my email.

At noon, her friend shows up enroute from Iowa to Albuquerque. We go out for the best Kansas BBQ in the nation. Later, while tornadoes rip a swath of death and devastation to our south and west, we make this neat-o card for the mater:


Afterwards FabDame mops the floor, does the grocery shopping and prepares a seven course gourmet meal.

I snooze on the sofa and surf the 'net.

Day three, Sunday: FabDame sleeps until 8 O'clock. Christ. I have to make my own coffee. Oh wait, FabHubby makes it. She finally drags her lazy ass out of bed to make me toast served with homemade jam from fruit she picked off her tree last night in the windstorm.

I text Dennis.

In the afternoon we go shopping at Kohl's. FabDame tries on every single outfit in the whole freakin' place to find something that fits her new, slender frame.

I buy discounted underwear.

You know how tiring it is trying on bras. By the time we get home I need a nap. While I sleep, FabDame makes three quilts for the tornado victims. Three. Like that's gonna help. We go to Costco and she purchases her Mother's Day meal. FabHubby cooks it.

I wash the lettuce.

Day four, Monday: FabDame still needs clothes, but it's almost time for me to leave. As we're walking out the door, my cell phone rings. It's USAIR. My flight was cancelled. I spend the next hour on the phone with Sukresh from Punjab trying to get another flight. Sukresh offers me a seat on a flight to Stuttgart, connecting to Nairobi, a layover in Malaysia, and thence a spot on the standby list to Philadelphia. I say that's unacceptable. Sukresh politely finds me a direct flight the next morning.

FabDame and I get one more day! A gift from the gods. Where are we going to go? The mall!!

FabDame has to return some Dockers she bought before she lost weight. While there she finds the most beautiful sweater and tunic that totally rocks her boho, scarf look. I find a $7.99 summer top.

She's so jazzed when she gets home she rotates the tires on the van, reglazes a window, and moves the baby grand to dust underneath.

I relax with a beer.

Day five, Tuesday: By the time I crawl out of the shower at BF O'Thirty, FabDame has hot eggs and toast on the table. Her daughter comes down and FabDame packs a nutritious school lunch for her.

Fabdame reads the news, feeds the animals, trims a few trees and paints the living room.

I print out my boarding pass.

If there's one thing I learned this weekend, it's this. If anyone can beat cancer...

Tomorrow: FabDame builds a B-24 in 19.2 minutes and ends the war in Iraq...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

OMG!! I love FabDame! What a great attitude. Send her my best.

Good to have you back Ann. We had no one to pick on.

May 14, 2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

It's good to be back Bev. I'm so tired from all that I did for her.

May 15, 2008 2:10 PM  
Anonymous jane/fabdame said...

(thinking of sis, softly humming Mighty Mouse theme song)
Yep, um...it was exactly the way she um...described it. *nodding head* Yes indeedy.

I misses ya sis!

Waves at Bev - I feel the love - back atcha Miss Bev!

May 15, 2008 8:42 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Oh all right. You didn't trim the trees. Cripes.

I did a little more than I implied, too. I re-made my bed when the flight got cancelled and I changed a roll of TP.

Mr. Trouble never hangs around, when he hears this mighteee sound...

Miss you too!

May 16, 2008 6:35 AM  
Blogger Lyn Cash said...

loveitloveitloveit - lol

May 17, 2008 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home