Friday, May 16, 2008

Real Men, Part I

Dennis claims that male love is "largely theoretical".

A man might not sweep the floor, change a diaper, or listen to his teenage girl rant about global injustice, but, he'll gladly take arms and defend his family to the bloody death -- when the aliens arrive.

So, he sits on the sofa, channel-surfing and swilling beer, awaiting the invasion. After all, he needs his strength for when they come. As they surely will.

A couple of months ago, the Visigoths came to the Fab household.

They invaded swiftly, under cover, with no warning. For a few, tense minutes, the Fab household was unprepared, surprised and oh so vulnerable. Tears were shed, hair was torn, muscles spasmed and panic seemed imminent.

But then, the last man standing in the family met his True Purpose. He took arms -- took his family in those arms -- turned, and faced his opponent.

FabHub stepped up to the plate, spent every second with FabDame as she was poked and prodded, tested and toasted, needled and nipped, cat-scanned and cut, drugged and dopey, grim and gutted, rayed and re-sectioned.

Through it all he mowed the lawn, delivered children to music lessons, shopped for food, made the meals, texted me back (endlessly, patiently) and watched Oprah.

Without one, single complaint.

I don't know about you, but there's no way I'd have tolerated Oprah.

Proving the man that he is, he continues to bear most of the load normally carried by two, three, four, or an army.

As FabDame says, it's not easy being married to a sick person. As he replies, it's what I signed up for, and it's finite. She's going to get better.

You know, after my dad and both my brothers died, my sister-in-law cried to me over the phone, "Where are all our men?"

I knew what she meant. I felt it. That loss of protection from the aliens, the visigoths. I was willing to endure the everyday shit of diapers and global injustice just to have that protection again.

It wasn't until two months ago that I realized, we still have it. We still have protection. He's alive. He's with us. We still have a hero.

Right there, over the rainbow.


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

Kudos to FabHub! No wonder FabDame can assemble a B-24 in 19 minutes.
With that kind of support, I could assemble a space ship in 19 minutes.

Keep on keepin' on.

May 17, 2008 10:26 AM  
Anonymous jane/fabdame said...

looks accusingly at sis You made me cry.

FabHub's sacrifice for today is going to the quilt show so I can go. Talk about throwing yourself under the bus.

May 17, 2008 11:33 AM  
Blogger Lyn Cash said...

helluva man - but then he has hella-women in his life - kudos to all of you...

May 17, 2008 2:20 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Bev, you can never discount the homefront, eh?

Jane, greater love hath no man...

Suns, you hit it. Hella women attract hella men. We reap what we sow.

Put that in your hooka and SMOKE IT!

May 17, 2008 4:33 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

That post made me cry.

Bless you, FabHub.

Keep fighting, FabDame.

Hugs to you, too, Ann.

May 22, 2008 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home