Sunday, July 06, 2008

Being UnderGround Hog Day


A selfish man is doomed to repeat the same day over and over until he learns The Meaning of Life.

What a quietly great movie that is quickly becoming one of the most esteemed Romantic Comedies of our time. Tonight I finally sat down and watched it. I know. I know. I'm slow.

I wanted to see what all the buzz was about. Now, I've been a Bill Murray fan since he replaced Chevy Chase on SNL so why have I never watched this gem of a movie? Was it the groundhog? I don't know. I don't know. I'm slow. Sue me.

It's funny, really. Because just the other night at the watering hole I said to my watering buddy, "The most important thing in life is love. We all agree on that. But I've always wondered: is it more important to love, or to be loved? Which comes first, being loved, or loving? I think it's more important to love."

After all, what's the last thing a dying person always says? Always. "I love you."

No one ever asks, "Do you love me?"

Nope. It's always the same old same old, "I love you."

Gets kinda redundant after a while.

But why do they say it? Is it because the world is filled with unoriginal drones who have nothing better to say on their deathbeds? On second thought, don't answer that.

They say it because feeling is living, that's why. Dying people are really confirming that by loving, they've lived.

My watering buddy started crying. A teenage, single mom, she confessed that she'd always thought she'd had her baby so it could love her. But now, tonight, she realized she had that baby so she could love it.

And when Bill Murray realized he loved -- finally, purely loved -- he was able to move into another day. So he said to Andie Macdowell, "What can I do for you, today?"

Those words reminded me I have a job to do!

Thanks to all my wonderful readers, who check this blog every day, who've supported me through rough times and have stayed true while I was blue. It's time to start loving again. Time to start living again.

I think I owe some people another book!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous jane/fabdame said...

*I think I owe some people another book!*
I for one - can't wait!!!!!

July 08, 2008 6:42 PM  
Blogger Don Guitar said...

If writing is how your love for others manifests itself, then yes, you owe them a book. Me, I cook for those whom I care about. For me, writing is just another body function over which I have no control beyond making sure it remains non-commercial. I've decided that getting paid for doing what you love is all wrong. You should get paid for the things you dislike doing and do what you love for love alone. Um, or something very like that. :)

July 09, 2008 5:05 AM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

I'm on it, Jane!

Don, making people laugh is how my love manifests itself, not writing. But the writing has enabled me to provide laughter to more people than just those in my inner circle. And I wish everyone could get paid for doing what they love. It's a great reward!

July 09, 2008 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Bev Stephaqns said...

I too am waiting for the next book. I'm still hoping for 'Armegeddon outta here'!

Expressing love is such a hard thing to do verbally, but easy to do in the small everyday things we try to do for people or they do for us. Cooking would fall under those guidlines because it's an everyday thing. Writing a book is a whole other ballgame. That's a labor of love with an unknown gestation period.

July 10, 2008 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

Oh geez! I can't even spell my last name right. I must be snortin' my coffee again.

July 10, 2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Bev, I so want to write "Armageddon Out of This World"!! LOL. D'ya think I can convince EC to keep that title? Hmmm. Plotting. Plotting.

We're gonna have to find you something more worthwhile to snort ;)

July 10, 2008 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home