Thursday, September 11, 2008

An Interview!

Ten Questions With Ann Wesley Hardin

This month Red Sage Presents ... Ann Wesley Hardin! Ann has had many incarnations. After spending seven years earning university and post-graduate degrees in Anthropology, Museum Studies and Earth Sciences, she worked as a bartender, a radio weather forecaster, an environmental groundwater consultant and, finally, a novelist. A native New Yorker, she spent countless months traveling the world, and finally found a European style village in rural Pennsylvania, where she settled with her family.

Ann's story Bonded has been wowing readers and reviewers alike.

1) Did you ever think you would be doing what you do?
Are you kidding? Of course I knew. It was destiny! Don't laugh because that's actually pretty close to the truth. But that belief, as strong as it was, didn't stop me from spending years crying in my closet over the stacks of rejections.

2) How did becoming a writer change your life?
In a funny way it gave me permission to be myself, strange attributes and all. We're conditioned from birth to fit under the bell jar and some of us just don't. Getting that validation, feeling necessary, and able to contribute to society in some small way is a wonderful thing for a wacko.

3) Are there common themes that show up in all your stories? If so, what are they?
I think acceptance is probably a recurring theme. Gee. Wonder why? (see answer # 2)

4) What draws you to the setting you chose for this story?
I usually use places I've been. It's important to get the lingo right because my books are dialogue heavy. It also depends on the character. Sela, from Bonded, had to be from New York City with her bold, brassy attitude. In A Lick and A Promise, a neighborhood in Seattle called Fremont inspired the setting because the local nickname for Fremont is "The Center of The Universe" -- extremely appropriate and inspiring for that book.

5) You write wonderful sex scenes. What makes a sex scene really sizzle?
Thank you! Sex sizzles when it's all about the characters, who they are, and what they're learning while they're going at it like lunatics. I do try never to stray from my character's heads when they're in bed. That's when they're most vulnerable and the wrong word or phrase -- something they wouldn't think or say -- will be jarring and untrue. Nothing is less sexy than a lie.

6) Which comes to you first, the plot or the characters?
Characters. Like for many writers, they speak to me in some way. I let them tell me what the plot is. There's no way I could manufacture some of this crazy stuff otherwise.

7) Your story is very funny. Do you think it's harder to write comedy than to write straight contemporary stories?
Alot of people think comedy is harder to write. I suppose on some level I agree, but then, why wouldn't I? Agreeing enables me to whine, "Woe is me. My life is so much harder than any other writer's!" The truth is, comedy comes easily to me. I simply can't resist it.

8) Any plans to step out of your usual genre?
I'm starting to dabble in Urban Fantasy. But rest assured there will always be romance, and the sex will always be hot. There's no going back from there. Who would want to?

9) Of all the heroes you've created, which is your favorite and why?
Here's where I'm supposed to say I love them all. But I don't. I like them all. But they're my heroine's dream men, not necessarily mine. My dream man is brainy, sexy, alpha in his own way, and also very weird. Totally my kinda guy!

10) Will Jorge the Masseuse be making any cameos in upcoming stories?
Jorge is a man of mystery and allure. Jorge keeps us guessing...


Read the rest of the

Red Sage Newsletter

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stephans said...

Cool interview. When will your story go to print?

September 11, 2008 4:01 PM  
Blogger Ann Wesley Hardin said...

Bev, The e-program at Red Sage is brand new and I don't know if they have plans to put any of the ebooks into print. We'll find out together!

September 11, 2008 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home